Efficient development processes and fast error detection in Research and Development
Do you know all the things you can measure in the R&D sector with a thermal imager?
With a highly sensitive thermal imager, you can
- Find predetermined breaking points
- Discover thermal anomalies in real time and monitor cooling and heating processes
- Carry out safety tests on electrical components
- Analyze heat development and transmission on circuit boards, and optimize development processes
Find out more on how high-end thermal imagers support you in thermally demanding development tasks.
Analyze and optimize
Electronic components on circuit boards are becoming smaller and smaller and spaced closer and closer. This increases the demands placed on heat transmission. This is how you can save time and resources in development, with a Testo thermal imager:
- Visualize temperature distribution precisely thanks to focussing ≥ 10cm
- Analyze interconnection between hot spots and heat transmission quickly and easily
- Optimize heat transmission
Evaluate thermal processes
In order to examine thermal processes such as the warming and cooling behaviour of LEDs, a single-point measurement is not enough. Thermal imagers with fully radiometric video measurement analyze the temperatures over a time progression. This is how it works:
- The imager records sequences and videos of thermal images.
- All temperature readings are available at any given moment during the process and can be analyzed retrospectively.
Tech Sheet temperature measurement accuracy to download
Did you know that testo 885 and testo 890 have one of the best temperature accuracies on the market? Find out all the technical background in the Tech Sheet:
- What makes a high temperature measurement accuracy?
- What performance must a good sensor be able to provide?
- What part is played by calibration?
Download application examples now
Are you interested in quality assurance and the visualization of thermal processes in R&D? You will find out more in these application examples.
Rotor gears transmit power from the drive to the rotor and are therefore exposed to extreme mechanical stresses. Scientists from the Technical University of Vienna use the testo 890 thermal imager for numerous testing and optimization tasks.
- Thermal anomalies on gear wheels, bearings and shafts indicate a need for optimization in terms of design.
- Long-term recordings with different mechanical loads enable conclusions to be drawn about reliability and service life.
- Thanks to compatibility with LabVIEW, the image data can be processed using the programming software used at the Institute and saved in a structured way.
Here you can find out why the testo 890 has become an indispensable testing and measuring instrument for the scientists in other respects too.
Thermal isolation of components
Components with strong heat development and temperature-sensitive components are often positioned in large assemblies close to one another. In order that sensitive components do not overheat, individual components or whole section must be thermally isolated. This is how a thermal imager supports you:
- Measurement of heat distribution and analysis with the thermography software testo IRSoft
- Checking tests and analyses with different insulation materials
- Optimum implementation of insulation – avoidance of unnecessarily high item prices
- Fast error detection when thermal isolation does not work
- Development of efficient solutions for cooling components
Developing mechanical components
Other components can be negatively impacted due to excessive temperatures in the mechanics. For this reason, heat development is in focus in the Research and Development of mechanical components or whole assemblies. This is how a thermal imager supports you:
- Visualization of thermal anomalies in real time and fast identification of the cause (e.g. friction)
- Analysis of heat transmission within assemblies or at components