Portable nanoparticle counter
Road traffic is seen as the main cause of air pollution in our cities. In order to minimize the health hazard due to fine particle pollution, automobile manufacturers have the obligation to develop the cleanest possible engines and the most efficient possible exhaust gas cleaning systems. For this purpose, the research and development departments require highly sensitive technology which can measure the nanoparticles in the exhaust gases exactly and reliably during driving.
- The automotive industry has high demands:
- Durable, robust measurement technology
- Reproducible measurement results
- Portable measurement system PEMS-PN (Portable Emission Measurement System – Particle Number) for use in vehicles while driving
In order to measure the number concentration of nanoparticles in auto exhaust gases under real operating conditions, a portable emission measuring system is needed which fulfils the following prerequisites.
- Easy operation and high reliability
- Evaluation of a broad particle concentration range
- Evaporation and dilution of the raw gas
- Fast reaction to changes of engine load
- Easily understood presentation of the measurement values
The solution: testo NanoMet3 for real driving emissions (RDE)
The portable emission measuring system testo NanoMet3 was specially developed for operation in vehicles under real driving conditions. The measurement system dilutes high particle concentrations in the directly sampled gas with the help of a rotary disc diluter, and removes volatile components in the integrated evaporation tube. With the testo NanoMet3, the user has not just a reliable measuring instrument for measuring nanoparticles, but also an integrated PMP-compliant exhaust gas preparation.
- Provides the following measurement values: Particle number concentration, mean geometric diameter, active lung-deposited surface area (LDSA), particle mass
- No operating materials required
- One-button operation
- Exhaust gas preparation with integrated PMP thermodilution
- Exhaust gas measurement on gasoline and diesel engines without time-consuming adjustments
The testo NanoMet3 was one of the most successful instruments in the European Commission JCR (Joint Research Centre) test.