Efficient development processes and fast troubleshooting
in research and development
Do you know all the things you can measure in the R&D sector with a thermal imager?
With a highly sensitive thermal imager, you can
- Find predetermined breaking points
- Discover thermal anomalies in real time and monitor cooling and heating processes
- Carry out safety tests on electrical components
- Analyse heat development and transmission on circuit boards, and optimise development processes
Find out more on how high-end thermal imagers support you in thermally demanding development tasks.
Analyse and optimise
Electronic components on circuit boards are becoming smaller and smaller and spaced closer and closer. This increases the demands placed on heat transmission. This is how you can save time and resources in development, with a Testo thermal imager:
- Visualise temperature distribution precisely thanks to focussing ≥ 10cm
- Analyse interconnection between hot spots and heat transmission quickly and easily
- Optimise heat transmission
Evaluating thermal processes
In order to examine thermal processes such as the warming and cooling behaviour of LEDs, a single-point measurement is not enough. Thermal imagers with fully radiometric video measurement analyse the temperatures over a time progression. This is how it works:
- The imager records sequences and videos of thermal images.
- All temperature readings are available at any given moment during the process and can be analysed retrospectively.
Reference report: Checking helicopter rotor gears in research and development with the testo 890 thermal imager.
- Thermal anomalies on gear wheels, bearings and shafts indicate a need for optimization in terms of design.
- Long-term recordings with different mechanical loads enable conclusions to be drawn about reliability and service life.
- Thanks to compatibility with LabVIEW, the image data can be processed using the programming software used at the Institute and saved in a structured way.
Here you can find out why the testo 890 has become an indispensable testing and measuring instrument for the scientists in other respects too.
Rotor gears transmit power from the drive to the rotor and are therefore exposed to extreme mechanical stresses. Scientists from the Technical University of Vienna use the testo 890 thermal imager for numerous testing and optimization tasks.
Thermal decoupling of components
Components subject to significant heating and temperature-sensitive components are often located close together in large assemblies. To prevent sensitive components from overheating, individual components or whole areas have to be thermally decoupled. How a thermal imager will support you:
- Measurement of heat distribution and analysis with the testo IRSoft thermography software
- Checking of tests and analyses with different insulation materials
- Optimum layout of insulation and avoidance of unnecessarily high unit costs
- Fast troubleshooting if the thermal decoupling is not working
- Development of efficient solutions for cooling components
Developing mechanical components
Other components can be negatively impacted due to excessive temperatures in the mechanics. For this reason, heat development is in focus in the Research and Development of mechanical components or whole assemblies. This is how a thermal imager supports you:
- Visualisation of thermal anomalies in real time and fast identification of the cause (e.g. friction)
- Analysis of heat transmission within assemblies or at components
Application example: Quality assurance in electronics
The heat development of electronic components on a circuit board can affect the function of adjacent assemblies and even lead to the malfunction of the whole circuit. The testo 885 and testo 890 thermal imagers enable
- Detailed investigation of small components and fine structures in terms of their thermal behaviour
- Monitoring heat development over longer periods of time and in different load conditions
- Easy and comprehensive analysis and documentation of thermal processes using testo IRSoft
Find out here how the testo 885 and testo 890 can enhance analyses in quality assurance and accelerate optimization processes.
Application example: Accelerating research and development
Research and development departments have to design products and ensure their market readiness in shorter and shorter timescales. To do this, problem areas must be detected at an early stage, comprehensively analyzed and effectively optimized. The testo 885 and testo 890 thermal imagers enable
- Visualization and investigation of fine structures and heat differences
- Recording and analysis of thermal processes over longer periods of time
- Transfer of measuring values from the thermal images to temperature-time diagrams and exporting them as images or Excel files
Here you can find out how testing and development processes can be significantly accelerated with the testo 885 and testo 890.