Efficient development processes and fast troubleshooting in research and development
Are you aware of all the things you can measure using a thermal imager in the research and development field?
A highly sensitive thermal imager enables
- Targeted detection of predetermined breaking points
- Determination of thermal anomalies in real time and monitoring of cooling and heating processes
- Performance of safety checks on electrical components
- Analysis of heat development and dissipation on circuit boards and optimization of development processes
Find out more about how thermal imagers from Testo can support you with thermally demanding development tasks.
Electronic components on circuit boards are getting smaller and smaller and more and more closely packed together. This means heat dissipation requirements are rising. How to save time and resources in development using a thermal imager from Testo:
- Precise visualization of the smallest temperature distributions thanks to the minimum focusing distance of 10 cm
- Fast and easy analysis of the relationship between hot spots and heat dissipation
- Optimization of heat dissipation
Evaluating thermal processes
A multi-point measurement does not suffice for the investigation of thermal processes such as the heating and cooling behaviour of LEDs. Thermal imagers with fully radiometric video measurement analyze temperatures as a time progression. How it works:
- The imager records sequences and videos of thermal images
- All temperature readings are available at any given moment during the process and can be analyzed retrospectively
The optional process analysis package includes the feature of sequence storage in the imager. This allows you to record and save temperature developments at freely selectable intervals directly in the thermal imager testo 890 – wirelessly and without a PC.
The package also includes fully radiometric video measurement. It offers you the possibility of analyzing saved videos and sequences in the clearly structured software Testo IRSoft. You can also stream radiometric measurement data via online measurement into the analysis software at up to 25 Hz, and record sequences. This means that all changes are immediately visible in the thermal image, even in fast-moving processes.
In addition to this, the video measurement offers you the possibility of controlling the imager remotely, and of saving individual images either as a thermal image of a JPEG-file.
How fully radiometric video works
Application example: Quality assurance in electronics
The heat development of electronic components on a circuit board can affect the function of adjacent assemblies and even lead to the malfunction of the whole circuit. With the testo 890 thermal imager, you can
- Carry out detailed investigation of small components and fine structures in terms of their thermal behaviour
- Monitor heat development over longer periods of time and in different load conditions
- Carry out simple, comprehensive analysis and documentation of thermal processes using testo IRSoft
Find out how the testo 890 can enhance analyses in quality assurance and speed up optimization processes.
Application example: Accelerating research and development
Research and development departments have to design products and make them ready for the market in increasingly shorter timescales. To do this, problem areas must be detected at an early stage, comprehensively analyzed and effectively optimized. With the testo 890 thermal imager, you can
- Visualize and investigate fine structures and heat differences
- Record and analyze thermal processes over longer periods of time
- Transfer measuring values from the thermal images to temperature-time diagrams and export them as images or Excel files
Find out how testing and development processes can be significantly speeded up using the testo 890.
Reference report: Technical University of Vienna
Rotor gears transmit power from the drive to the rotor and are therefore exposed to extreme mechanical stresses. Scientists from the Technical University of Vienna use the testo 890 thermal imager for numerous testing and optimization tasks:
- Thermal anomalies on gear wheels, bearings and shafts indicate a need for optimization in terms of design.
- Long-term recordings with different mechanical loads enable conclusions to be drawn about reliability and service life.
- Thanks to compatibility with LabVIEW, the image data can be processed using the programming software used at the Institute and saved in a structured way.
Find out why the testo 890 has become an indispensable testing and measuring instrument for the scientists in other respects too.
Thermal decoupling of components
Components subject to significant heating and temperature-sensitive components are often located close together in large assemblies. To prevent sensitive components from overheating, individual components or whole areas have to be thermally decoupled. How a thermal imager will support you:
- Measurement of heat distribution and analysis with the testo IRSoft thermography software
- Checking of tests and analyses with different insulation materials
- Optimum layout of insulation and avoidance of unnecessarily high unit costs
- Fast troubleshooting if the thermal decoupling is not working
- Development of efficient solutions for cooling components
Developing mechanical components
Excessive temperatures in the mechanics can have a negative impact on components. In research and development involving mechanical components or entire assemblies, the focus is therefore on heat development. How a thermal imager will support you:
- Visualization of thermal anomalies in real time and fast identification of the cause (e.g. friction)
- Analysis of heat dissipation within assemblies or on components